Yogurt Starter/Yogurt Maker

Home Forums Artisan Vegan Cheese Yogurt Starter/Yogurt Maker

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ccrump 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    smasheasy
    smasheasy
    Participant

I just bought a yogurt maker because I can’t get anything except coconut based yogurt here – at least for plain unsweetened. I wanted to get vegan yogurt starter instead of using the coconut yogurt to start my first batch, but the one I found was $34.95 and the shipping was $30! Anyone have suggestions for vegan yogurt starters they’ve used before? The one I was looking at was GI Pro-Health GI ProStart Yogurt Starter.

Thanks for your help!

smasheasy
    smasheasy
    Participant

Also, can the coconut yogurt be used as starter? I know there has been a good deal of discussion about the coconut milk version, as it has additional additives or something?

federico
    Participant

Usually coconut milk contains a sort of gum (guar or xanthan) as additive and those don’t prevent the culturing. Preservatives normally do. What really matters is the fat content. The light coconut milk doesn’t culture very well. In addition you may need to add a bit of sugar if your coconut milk is unsweetened or it’s not contained in the starter.

As for the starter you can use any probiotic capsule/powder that contains at least one culturing bacteria such as bulgaricus, acidophilus or thermophilus. Products that are stated as yogurt starter usually contain all of them. But other probiotics even if not stated as yogurt starter serve as well and they are usually less pricey.

The gi pro-start starter is a very good product but it’s a huge bottle. You can try the Cultures For Health starter. You can make 10 batches out of that for $10.

smasheasy
    smasheasy
    Participant

Thanks! I appreciate the suggestions!

smasheasy
    smasheasy
    Participant

I just went to Cultures for Health online and ordered 2 of the Vegan Yogurt Starters – found a coupon code for 25% off! enter YOGURT in the coupon box 😉

federico
    Participant

that’s great and if you want I can pass you my method for the coconut yogurt from scratch. I mean from the desiccated coconut.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by  federico.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by  federico.

dacollari2
    Participant

I used coconut yogurt as my starter for soy based yogurt. First batch I made came out great…getting ready to do another batch but will use the yogurt from first as starter..wish me luck

ccrump
    Participant

I also did what Dacollari2 did. I used a coconut yogurt as my starter. It made a decent batch with a slightly coconut flavor. I used a bit of that for my next batch and now by batch 3 I have one with no coconut flavor.

I also use a cooler and a few hot water bottles to culture. My first few worked OK, but this last batch I was able to get the temp to 120 and I didn’t open it till the next morning and it is a FIRM yogurt! I am so excited! I did some reading and apparently some cultures need 120 to grow well.

I’ve had yogurt makers in the past when I ate milk and I have to say I like my new method so much better….no electricity and a consistent product!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.